My name is Stephanie Riley and I am a senior at Washington State University in the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication. My academic focus is on public relations. I was selected as 1 of 5 candidates for the 2015-2016 academic year to participate in the Murrow Backpack Journalism Program.
In Spring of 2016, I traveled to Zacapa, Guatemala for an opportunity of a lifetime. I volunteered for the mission of Hearts In Motion. The Hearts In Motion mission is to provide care and medical treatment for children, families, and communities through programs and sponsorship in the U.S., Central and South America.
I was accompanied by 107 volunteers, comprised of Washington State University Students, doctors, dentists and others dedicated to the Hearts In Motion mission. I will produce video story packages and write about stories that touched my heart during my trip.
It was my honor and pleasure to serve the beautiful people and country of Guatemala. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time and I will cherish every moment and relationship that I was able to build and grow. I will never forget all of the smiles, hugs and laughs that were shared during my time there.
A special thank you to everyone who made this trip possible for me:
- Washington State University
- Edward R. Murrow College of Communication and my generous sponsors and donors
- Hearts In Motion
- Matt Shelley – Director of Global Engagement, Murrow College of Communication
- Jon Elmer – Video Trainer and Professor, Murrow College of Communication
- Lyndsay McCall – Equipment Program Supervisor, Murrow College of Communication
- Ana María Rodríguez-Vivaldi – Associate Dean, Student Affairs and Global Education
- Kathy Beerman – Professor, School of Biological Sciences
- My parents; Steve and Silvia Riley
“No joy can equal the joy of serving others.” -Sai Baba
To donate to the mission of Hearts In Motion click here.